Austin and Nashville performances shine brightly
ARLINGTON, Va. — July 12, 2023 — Knowland, the world’s leading provider of data-as-a-service insights on meetings and events for hospitality, reports June meeting and event volume is up 30.3 percent over June 2022. This data is sourced from Knowland’s sales intelligence platform designed to help hoteliers build and protect a hotel’s revenue base.
The top 25 markets in the U.S. are 90 percent recovered for year-to-date June 2023 performance compared to 2019. Austin, TX, and Nashville, TN, were the stars, with growth topping 74 percent and 42 percent, respectively. This reflects the return of seasonal events to these markets known for big music, art, and entertainment. Both venues offer amenities that groups need for work and play – including several new hotels on the horizon, growing nonstop flight options, and some of the most unique meeting spaces in the country. When the work is done, meeting attendees enjoy a balance of the environment, local flair restaurants, live music, and entertainment, which make these cities popular destinations with meeting planners.
- Year-over-year comparison – June 2023 event volume increased 30.3 percent over June 2022.
- Top five markets (by event volume) – Chicago led the top 25 markets, hosting National Association meetings followed by Pharmaceutical/Biotechnology. The following four markets, Los Angeles/Long Beach, Washington D.C., San Diego, and Anaheim-Santa Ana rounded out the top five. Below is additional insight into the top drivers for these markets.
- Chicago, IL: National Association, Pharma/Biotech, Wedding, HealthCare, and Technology.
- Los Angeles/Long Beach, CA: Education, National Association, Training/Education, Entertainment/Media, and Charity/Non-Profit/Social.
- Washington, DC-MD-VA: National Association, Travel, Charity/Non-Profit/Social, Education, Federal Government Agency.
- San Diego, CA: National Association, Wedding, Education, Training/Education, and Charity/Non-Profit/Social.
- Anaheim-Santa Ana, CA: Wedding, Financial/Banking, Technology, Training/Education, and National Association.
- Top markets (by percentage growth) – The top overall U.S. markets by year-over-year growth in meetings and events were Michigan South; Delaware; Kansas; and Mobile, AL.
About the Data: This data is provided to help hoteliers still building momentum gain insight into the top locations selected by today’s meeting planners. This information about the leading industry drivers provides a clear picture of those groups that are returning to the meeting and event space. Insights presented are a result of the analysis of meetings and events data acquired through Knowland data collection and aggregation methods, including field reporting and automated methods of customer and non-customer data collection in primary, secondary, and tertiary markets, as well as its large historical database.
Knowland is the world’s leading provider of data-as-a-service insights on meetings and events for hospitality. With the industry’s largest historical database of actualized events, thousands of customers trust Knowland to sell group smarter and maximize their revenue. Knowland operates globally and is headquartered just outside Washington, DC. To learn more about our solutions, visit www.knowland.com or follow us on Twitter @knowlandgroup.